Apr 21, 2021
To find the best possible recipe we spoke with renowned Chef, Klaus Keller from Sea World Resort about some of his favourite breakfast treats. He shared with us his Buttermilk Scone Recipe with Saffron Crème Anglaise.
Join us behind the scenes at Sea World Resort with the Chef himself:
Watch as our Discover Queensland team recreate the recipe:
Check out more Mothers’ Day Gift Ideas and handy tips on How to Choose the Perfect Gift for Mum.
Let’s face it, Mums are superheroes and should be absolutely spoilt all year - so don’t wait for Mothers’ Day to test out this recipe!
Buttermilk Scones with Saffron Crème Anglaise
Saffron Crème Anglaise
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 10 Saffron Pistils
- 80g Sugar
- 500ml Milk
- Start by heating the milk with the saffron, letting it infuse for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the egg yolks with the sugar.
- Bring milk to simmer and pour in the egg yolk and sugar preparation while constantly whisking.
- Pour the mixture back in into the pan and heat over medium heat, constantly stirring with a wooden spatula.
- When the custard thickens, transfer into a bowl so that it stops baking.
Saffron Crème Anglaise HistoryIn French this egg custard is called “English Cream” because it was discovered by the French in England in the 16th century. It’s a pouring custard made by the coagulation of egg yolks, used very often as a sauce to go along with pastries.
You can of course, use this recipe to prepare the traditional recipe of crème anglaise - just add vanilla bean instead of saffron pistils.
At Sea World Resort for Mothers’ Day, it is served with freshly baked buttermilk scones.
- 2 cups Self-Rising Flour
- 1 tablespoon Caster Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 60g Butter (chilled and chopped)
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk (available from Coles or Woolies)
- Extra Buttermilk (to brush the tops before backing)
- Raspberry Jam (other berry jams can also be used)
- Whipped Cream (serving suggestion: add a little vanilla)
- Preheat oven to 220C (200C fan forced). Position oven rack in the top half of oven. Line a tray with baking paper.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt into a bowl.
- Using fingertips, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in centre of mixture and add the buttermilk. Using a flat-bladed knife, stir until a sticky dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until just smooth.
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin, gently roll dough out until 2cm thick. Using a 6cm round cutter (or a cup) cut out scones. Press leftover dough together and repeat. This should make approximately 12 scones.
- Place scones on a baking tray. Brush with buttermilk.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with jam and cream.
Scone Recipe HintsMake sure rolling pin is lightly floured before use.
All scones should be cooked on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
Not a confident cook? This recipe is much easier to whip up than the name sounds! Alternatively, you can treat her to the real deal at Sea World Resort with one of the Mothers’ Day Breakfast and Brunch packages on offer.
Mothers' Day Breakfast at Sea World Resort
Extraordinary Brunch from $99pp Adults | $49 Kids (4-17) | FREE 3 Years & Under
Why we love this?
Your experience starts with a visit to the magical dolphins at Sea World to see the Dolphin Discovery Presentation, before being whisked back to the resort for a glass of bubbly in the sun-soaked lobby. Then you'll enjoy a delicious 4 teired brunch of incredible sweet and savoury treats at Shoreline Restaurant while sipping on your bottomless barista coffee, tea, sparkling wine, soft drink or juice.
Plus you have the option to upgrade with a bottle of Moet and Chandon for $59.
A Cheerful High Tea from $49pp Adults | $29 Kids (4-17) | FREE 3 Years & Under
Why we love this?
You are nestled in the sunny and coastal lobby lounge with 2 hours of scrumptious high tea including delightful finger sandwiches, buttery house-made scones (sound familiar?) and chef-crafted treats! Of course, what would a high tea be without bottomless barista coffee, tea and juice?
Enjoy an optional upgrade to a drinks package for $24 and indulge in sparkling, red and white wine as well as a selection of beers.
The ULTIMATE Mothers Day Gift from $174 per room for 2 adults (add 2 kids for only $25 each)
Why we love this?
Gift Mum a holiday to Sea World Resort including unlimited theme park entry to Sea World, Warner Bros Movie World, Paradise Country and Wet 'n' Wild!